Thursday, December 16, 2010

October 8, 2010: Bugs in the chicken feed


October 8, 2010
Friday

Made a trip to the Tractor Supply store, bought some crushed oyster shells, grit and a new bag of scratch grain.   Also a metal trashcan for the scratch grain with a tight fitting lid.  The guy who worked there said it is difficult to keep bugs out of the grain and that he feeds it to the chickens anyway since they like to eat bugs.  I was afraid to do that since I didn’t know what type of bugs they were and looked like miniature versions of black sword fish and I didn’t relish the thought of them being some type of blood sucker, poking those swords into the chickens. 

When I got home, I put the grain in the new trashcan and then put their bags of crumbles into the old plastic storage bin that the chicks had lived in for awhile.  It was clean since I had kept shavings on the bottom.  I took some duct tape and taped the lid back together where I had cut it to put the heat lamp on, so that the lid would fit tightly again as well and keep the bugs out.  Also swept up the wood shavings from off the garage floor, now all is nice and neat again.  Took out a large mason jar to use as a scoop for each bin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment